Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Green Protein Smoothie Recipe




I was so happy this morning that I was able to concoct a green smoothie semi-comparable to what I used to enjoy prior to this stupid condition. Granted this new recipe NEEDS a banana but alas, my body doesn't need a banana.

So, I did the best I could with what I'm allowed to eat and to my surprise it wasn't half bad, of course I'm a weirdo and like odd tasting things so take my recipe for what it's worth and hopefully you will enjoy it too!

Ok, so as a gym rat I know that the normal protein powders are "out" because they all contain histidine (which converts to histamine). So, I found just pure hemp protein powder made by Bob Mills that does the trick for my protein needs. My smoothie contains alot less protein than I'm used to but nonetheless it's protein.

Here's what you'll need:

1/4 C. Bob Mills Hemp Protein powder (provides 12 grams of protein)
1 1/2 C. Silk Brand Almond Milk unsweetened. (any other brand contains carrageneen which is a thickener that wreaks havoc on our histamine levels, so make sure it's Silk brand)
1 organic gala apple
Approx. 4-5 stalks of organic kale
3 TBS. Organic shredded unsweetened coconut (I use Bob Mills)
2 TBS. Chia seed, to add thickness
3 packets of Stevia (Sweet Leaf brand only, all the other brands contain other shit you don't want to be ingesting histamine intolerant or not.)

Put all ingredients in your heavy duty blender, I use the NINJA looooove it. Chops up anything and everything to oblivion.

Pour and enjoy. Remember you will still taste the greens and will have texture to it but like I said I love weird stuff soooo. After about three swigs I began to enjoy it. The first swig I was desperately missing the banana but then quickly got over it.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment